Monday, July 21, 2014

Finding Contentment by Having Less "Stuff"

photo credit: <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/eflon/4169851497/">eflon</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">cc</a>

With my due date quickly approaching I have been struggling finding contentment in our 2 bedroom apartment.  The main suggestion is "you just need to move into a house."  Easy enough right?  Ideally.  Except, it is not an option at this time.  So, I spent more time then needed thinking I would just be unhappy until we could buy a house.  Then I came across this quote, "You'll never be content where you end up if you aren't content where you are."  That really got me thinking about what is the real issue behind my unhappiness?
 Here is what I've discovered:
  • Not enough prayer and meditation on the Word.
    • Not keeping my focus Heavenly has caused me to focus on material, and worldly things.
  • The more "stuff" I acquire, the more clutter I can't tame.
    • Clutter= Mess= Stress and Discontent
    • I am trying to fill a void with stuff that only time with Jesus will fill.
  • Lazy Bum Syndrome
    • I love to organize, especially with binders.  You wouldn't know it though if you walked into my apartment.  I have half finished projects all over.  Lately I've found myself in this pit of laziness and it is reflected in my home.
My Changes:
  • Spend dedicated time praying and reading my Bible.
    • If I don't make this the biggest priority of my day I will fall right back into my "stuff depression"
    • I plan to start a journal and daily write in there what I am grateful for to help keep my focus.
  • Budget Every Penny
    • I have become a horrible impulsive buyer.  So I'm creating a budget to account for every penny that comes in.
  • Finish What I Start
    • I love lists. So I have created a list of all the projects I need to finish.  My goal is to finish one project I've started every day.
So, what are some things you think can help detach ourselves from the burden of stuff?  What are ways you've found help "tame the clutter"?


Hope to see you back here soon!
         Christi 















No comments:

Post a Comment