Monday, December 8, 2014

Part 3: My Mental Preparation For a C-Section

  At my 36 week appointment my ob set my surgery for just a mere 8 days later.  I had no birth plan (gasp!).  I have 2 other kids at home and my nerves were already on edge about this new experience that was quickly approaching.  I couldn't think straight long enough to create on.  I knew in my head what I'd accept and what I was willing to put my foot down on.
  Other than having trouble getting the bleeding to stop, my surgery went well.  I had a beautiful 7 lb. 6 oz. healthy baby boy 3 weeks early.  I took the pain medicine as instructed.  After a year and a half of NO synthetic medication that sent my body all out of whack (more on that later).  But I had no back-lash or fight over my refusal to vaccinate,  I didn't even need to give them my informed refusal form.  And they didn't make me sign any weird paper.  I was very grateful for that.  I didn't need a plan, they allowed me to do as I felt best.  When I asked to give my new baby a bottle because my milk still hadn't set in, no comments were made.  I was allowed to keep a paper that tracked everything so they didn't have to come in as often.  Aside from the c-section recovery being so much harder than my vaginal births, it went very smooth.  
  I think this experience was God's way of reminding me I can't control it all.  Before finding out vaginal birth wasn't an option I was dead-set on having things a certain way.  And I would get mean if anyone said anything about being willing to give a little.  I wouldn't hear of it.  But I wouldn't trade this experience.  I have a new-found respect for c-section mammas.  I honestly don't think I would have had multiple children if I had a c-section first.  That was so much harder recovery wise than my other two births were, in my opinion, but every one is different.  So, just learn that not everything can be perfect, and not every one is out to ruin our experience.  All that matters in the end is that you have a healthy outcome and beautiful baby no matter how that happens, just as long as it does happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment