Monday, December 15, 2014

Why My Son Makes Me Want To Be Better

  Yes, I have 2 daughters.  I don't love them any less than my son.  I don't want less for them.  And until my son I thought I was doing the best I could for them.  But they aren't boys.  They won't marry a woman.  And that is what made me realize I want to be better.
  I heard it said that boys marry women like their mothers and girls marry men like their fathers.  That made me think, am I the kind of woman I'd want my son to spend his life with?  It was a hard reality, because I'm not.  So now I will try harder to be better.  It took having a son to see their is a better version of myself I want to strive for.  There was nothing wrong with before, but now I've raised my standards.  That means this:
-Making a choice to get dressed (and showered) everyday
-Welcome my husband home happily instead of dumping my problems on him
-Choosing to let them see me be goofy (nothing will help the years pass like laughter)
-Putting my husband's needs first
-Exercising and eating healthier

  These things may seem vain or unimportant to some, but to me they are things I want my son to look for in a woman.  Not that I'm looking for outer beauty.  Getting dressed, showering, exercising and eating better makes me feel better about myself.  And when I feel better, I am happy.  Sadness is natural, and my kids will see me cry.  But self-pity is destructive.  I don't want that to be a trait my children think is normal.  My goofy I tend to hide out of fear they may not see me as an authority.  Why, I don't know.  But I've realized that authority will not change by me being myself with them.  Putting my husband first...I know not every one agrees your children should come last. I know, biblical, what is said and how much sense it makes to me for the order to be God, husband, children.  I get that, but don't always model that.  I need to.  Not just for my son either.
  Has having children changed the way you see yourself or your actions?

No comments:

Post a Comment